Saturday 7 May 2011

Loneliness

When I was away from Zaf, this was one piece of poetry that used to give me great consolation. It felt like the poet has spoken out what I had in mind. To listen to nature, to open the inner eye, to see what's not obvious and make the most of every phase of life.

Allama Iqbal (The Poet of the East) created this masterpiece in Baang-e-dara. In the silent dark hours of the night when I couldn't sleep, I would just read this, feel the leaves rustling, look at the beautiful stars and thank God for blessing us with the senses to enjoy His creation.

تنہاءی

تنہائ شب میں ہے حزیں کیا
انجم نہیں تیرے ہم نشیں کیا!
یہ رفعت آسماں خاموش
خوابیدہ زمیں، جہاں خاموش
یہ چاند، یہ دشت و در، یہ کہسار
فطرت ہے تمام نستررن زار
موتی خوش رنگ، پیارے پیارے
یعنی ترے آنسوٰٴوں کے تارے
کس شے کی تجہے ہوس ہے اے دل!
قدرت تری ھم نفس ہے اے دل
!

The only expression I could ever think about for this poem was 'گونجتا سناٹا'.

I think when you make a choice, and you find yourself struggling because of it, stop and look around. Find something that can make it, not just bearable, but fun. These are my 2 cents on seeing the half glass full always.

1 comment:

  1. Fatima told me about this poem when I was also living by myself away from my family. I wrote it on a piece of paper and put it on my refrigerator. It helped me a lot to get through some of those days when absolutely nothing will cherish me.
    Allama Iqbal Poetries are always thought provoking and soothing to ones soul.His poetries shows his great love for nature and ofcourse nature is Allah. This poetry tells us that Allah loves his creation and HE is always with us and therefore we can never be alone.
    Living alone has taught me a lot and brought many positive changes in my personality. I have learned to appreciate importance of family and yet became confident that i can be independent and be fine.

    ReplyDelete