Tuesday 23 August 2011

Survival Of The Fittest

Finished my 1st set of night duties as an RMO 2 Acute Medicine yesterday. RMO 2 is a sorry character since he/she has to complete unfinished jobs in 18 wards, help the House Officer, clerk new patients, respond to peri-arrest calls and hold the crash bleep. Me in Navy scrubs with 2 bleeps on me that increase to 4 at 6:30 am, I feel smothered.

You then join the post-take rounds which may end as late as 10:15 am. I then drive 20 miles back home trying my best to not sleep at the wheel (trust me I have done it :( ). I was lucky to be working with an excellent bunch of girls though and loved cribbing together. What doesn't break you, makes you! It felt wonderful at the end to conquer such an inundating task.

I was so ecstatic to survive that I celebrated with cooking up a feast yesterday: Lebanese Lamb Kafta with roasted Pita chips! Turned out YUM!

Since I promised my friends that I would cook and post a recipe to my blog today, here we go! I'd cooked this one up over the weekend in my Haandi (clay pot) and it was just too good. Very earthy creation. You can use whatever pot you like.

MURGH MASALA

INGREDIENTS

Chicken (bone-in) cut into 8 pieces-0.75kg

MARINADE
Beaten yoghurt-3/4 cup
Freshly ground black pepper-1 tsp
Salt-to taste

SPICY PASTE
Peeled Ginger-1 inch piece
Garlic cloves-6
Medium-sized onions-2
Whole cumin (zeera)-1tbsp
Whole dried red chillies-10

GARNISH
Lemon slices
Fresh coriander (Hara dhanya)
Julienned ginger (Bareek kati adrak)


TEMPERING/BAGHAAR
Vegetable oil-1/2 cup
Whole garam masala (whole mixed spices): 10 black peppercorns (kaali mirch), 1 cinnamon stick (Daarcheeni), 3 cloves (laung), 1 black cardamom (bari ilaichi).











Coarsely pound the black peppercorns and add to the chicken alongwith yoghurt and salt. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.





Dry roast the cumin and red chillies on low flame until fragrant





and then pound coarsely in a mortar and pestle. You could use a coffee grinder too but the spices
get slightly burnt in the process. Besides I like to put all my love in my meals.



Now pound together the garlic, onion, ginger, red chillies and cumin together to a thick paste. Don't worry if the consistency is not smooth. It tastes even better with partially ground ingredients. You can use a blender if you want. I like it as earthy as possible.



This is how my paste looked like after a few patient minutes.





Crackle the whole garam masala in hot oil.



Now add the paste to the oil and stir on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.





Add the chicken with the marinade, mix well and




cook on low-medium heat for 10-20 minutes until the water evaporates and oil comes up.





Now uncover and stir quickly on high flame. Once the consistency of the gravy is nice and thick (4-5 minutes)



dish it out and garnish with julienned ginger and finely chopped coriander.







Ideally this should be served with chapati/paratha but I took an easy way out and served it over boiled rice. It was just too good. In case you were wondering, this is from a cookbook with some tweaking and tailoring :).




If anyone can advise me on how to post a larger file on this blog, please write to me. I will eagerly wait for your responses. Goodbye till the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment